Monday, April 5, 2010

A Warm Smile in the Train


While trying to sleep on the bus the other day while on my way home, my mind kept on wandering back to that monorail ride. I could still see the warm smile that little kid had in him. His bright eyes radiated happiness and it was hard for us not to smile back.

Tired from a day of walking around, haggling for a bargain and sweating ourselves while finding our way around that vast weekend market, that smile was a refreshing welcome inside the train. His mother, carrying him with difficulty, had the same warm smile for us too. I was puzzled, I would often see mother’s struggling with their kids in a train or anywhere else lose their poise. And there was that lady, alone with her kid, looking very serene and composed.

Sensing their friendliness, it became natural that we engaged in a small talk. We learned from her, that like us they were also visitors of the metro. Unlike us though, who went for vacation, they were there for medication. The little kid had a tumor in his brain and he was only 3 years old. The kiddo had been on medication for seven months and had undergone chemotherapy sessions already. I wonder how that little body of his endured the treatment. But more than that, my surprise really was more on those smiles he shared with us. I would always find it difficult to smile more so maintain it whenever I feel some discomfort. I would likely blabber around complaining.

And there was that little kid and his mom, suffering physically, mentally, emotionally, yet they still have that sunny smile in them to share. Must be happiness inside, as it would be hard to radiate what one doesn’t have.

Unfortunately, our chit chat was cut short when the train approached the hospital stop. Our little friend had to get off. We bade our good byes to them, and they to us. I whispered my little prayer, with high hopes that Buddha will grant his family’s prayer.

It’s almost six years since we met our little Bhutanese friend in the train. His radiant smile touched me, I am positive that he survived to touch more lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment